Hi there and welcome to the SYWT: (So You Want To:) series. Here I’ll be sharing some of my own experience with Minecraft and Bukkit/Tekkit server administraion.
The first tutorial will be related to running Minecraft / Tekkit on a lower-end pc, laptop or netbook.
As the game can be very demanding on memory, especially when running mods like Tekkit and as there are some caveats regarding Java memory allocation especially on 32bit Windows operating systems the first few recommendations are:
- Download and install the Java 7 JRE. Make sure You download the version for 32bit and not the one labeled x64. Uninstall any Java 6 JRE’s You might still have installed.
- Download the latest stable LWJGL package. Make sure You get the package labeled similar to lwjgl-2.8.4.zip. Unzip the package and replace the files in Your \tekkit\bin and \tekkit\bin\natives folder with the ones from this package.
- Restrict Java memory allocation by either creating a custom batch file (e.g. “java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar minecraft.jar“) to start the minecraft launcher, or using a custom launcher like Tekkit provides, click Options and set “Memory to allocate:” to 512MB.
- Download and Install OptiFine into Your minecraft.jar.
- Play with the Minecraft Options/Video Settings. Especially put Performace to Max FPS.
- Use the default texture pack or a good 16x custom Texturepack like 16x SphaxPureBDcraft.
For the members of our server i compiled a special 16x PureBDcraft Tekkit version which consist of Sphax’s original 16x textures and downsized versions of 64x texture packs that add BDcraft style textures to the Tekkit mods like IC2,BC2,EE, Forestry and others. I got permission to share the AddOn-Pack to the interested audience from their respective authors. Have a look at the Downloads page.